Java Software Engineer - Web Services - Sr. Level
Location: The Colony
Posted on: October 18, 2020
Purpose of JobJava Software Engineer Web Services Sr. Level
We are currently seeking talented Java Software Engineers Sr. Level
for our Plano, TX facility.
USAA Java Software Engineers - Web Services create and maintain
APIs for our business software applications that our members use.
Done well, many may never realize or appreciate how critical these
APIs are or how we've made them simpler. Faster. Safer. Yet they
help make our members' lives better. It's a great challenge and
Here, you will invent. You'll design and test. You'll take risks.
You'll create new technology, but the impact you'll make on our
members will be far more significant.
As a Java Engineer - Web Services, you are expected to be able to
function in a fast-paced environment driving innovation through
rapid prototyping and iterative development ensuring quality is
built into all solutions leveraging TDD. Your responsibilities will
require you to be an expert in API development. You will lead teams
of developers guiding on engineering and architecture best
practices as well as demonstrate the ability to influence and
engage with other engineers and architects. You will work closely
with business clients and UI designers to analyze user
requirements, design and code applications and customize and/or
integrate commercial software packages for both internal employees
and external member-facing applications across multiple
As a Java Engineer - Web Services, it will be your responsibility
to maintain code integrity and quality as well as ensure
application architecture is designed for performance and
resiliency.Job RequirementsABOUT USAAUSAA knows what it means to
serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S.
military members and their families. This singular mission requires
a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.In each of the
past five years, we've been a top-40 Fortune 100 Best Companies to
Work For , and we've ranked among Victory Media's Top 10 Military
Friendly Employers 13 years straight. We embrace a robust veteran
workforce and encourage veterans and veteran spouses to apply.ABOUT
USAA ITOur most important qualification isn't technical, it's
human. Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand
behind our 11 million members who rely on us every day. We are over
3,000 employees strong, a passionately supportive and collaborative
team built on Agile principles. We've been a top-two Computerworld
100 Best Places to Work in IT five years in a row and were recently
named a Top 50 Employer for Minority Engineers & IT by Workforce
See what it's like to work for a company where your passion meets
our purpose:This Job Posting is for multiple openings available in
- Utilizing technical expertise; Creates system requirements,
performs design and analysis, and coding and unit testing of
complex to highly complex system functionality and/or defect
correction across multiple platforms. Identifies ideas to improve
system performance and impact availability. Resolves complex
technical design issues.
- Provides functional and/or technical guidance in evaluating
applications systems or evaluating requests for proposals.
Coordinates changes and influences and prioritizes tasks with
business or technical departments.
- Analyzes and influences technical, system, and/or user
requirements. Identifies and creates solutions to improve system
performance and availability. Facilitates root cause analysis of
system issues to minimize impact and future occurrences.
- Creates system documentation/play book(s) and serves as a lead
technical reviewer and contributor in requirements, design and code
reviews. Typically serves as a resource to the business.
- Develops accurate estimates on work packages and ensures the
accuracy of estimates developed by less experienced internal and
third party team members. Analyzes and designs specifications for
less experienced internal and third party team members to execute.
Acts as a technical resource throughout the development life cycle.
May also actively contribute to the technical and soft skills
development of team members.
- Assists team leads and management with delegation of technical
work packages to cross-functional and third party team members for
execution through the full development life cycle. Keeps management
appropriately informed of progress and issues.
- Coordinates system application transition from development
teams to maintenance and production teams, and/or constructs and
implements necessary controls to assure system/application
- Bachelor's degree in related field of study or 4 additional
years of I/T experience beyond the minimum required in lieu of a
- AND, 6+ years of software engineering/development experience
utilizing Java with experience working with Web Services REST or
- Demonstrated ability to independently research technical issues
and generate creative/innovative solutions.PREFERRED
- 4+ years in REST frameworks with focus on API development
- 2+ years in AGILE methodology (Scrum, Lean, SAFe, etc.)
- 2+ years experience integrating with backend services like JMS,
J2C, ORM frameworks (Hibernate, JPA, JDO, etc), JDBC.
- Ability to design and implement container based APIs using
container frameworks like OpenShift, Docker, or Kubernetes.
- Relational Database design and optimization with Oracle DB2,
MySQL, or PostgreSQL
- Understanding of microservices architecture design and
- Working experience with Gradle, GIT, GitHUB, GITLab, etc.
around continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Cloud infrastructure application development with vendors like
AWS, Google or Microsoft.
- Experience testing in REST services
- Experience in design and develop automated tests and
frameworksDESIRED CHARACTERISTICSUSAA Java Engineers create
innovative solutions that impact our members. Collectively, we are:
- Curious and excited by new ideas
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Able to understand and translate business needs into
- Comfortable working as part of a connected team, but
- Community-focused, dependable and committed
- Exceptionally detail-orientedThe above description reflects the
details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of
the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of
all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.At USAA
our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the
business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress
environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along
with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our
career path planning and continuing education will assist you with
your professional goals.Relocation assistance is available for this
position. Associated topics: algorithm, c c++, c++, devops, matlab,
php, programming, python, sde, software developer
Keywords: USAA, The Colony , Java Software Engineer - Web Services - Sr. Level, IT / Software / Systems , The Colony, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!